Obtaining a car driver's license in Japan
There are 3 Types of driver's license in Japan.
1.Class one driver's license (AT & MT)
2.Class two driver's license
3.Learner driver's permit
1. Class one driver's license will enable you to drive motor vehicles or mopeds.The different types of class one driver's licenses are:
I. Limited Automatic transmission (AT) license
II. Manual transmission (MT) license.
Automatic transmission license holder can not drive Manual transmission vehicle.
2.Class two driver's license is required to drive motor vehicles to transport fee paying passengers or to operate a duly designated driver service. Ex: passenger bus, sightseeing bus, Taxi, hire, limousine, etc.
3. A learner driver’s permit is for people practicing in order to acquire a class one driver’s license. If one intend to practice with learner's permit, by law he should be accompanied by a person who has a class one driver’s license for three years or more, a person who has a class two driver’s license or an instructor from a driving school such as Tokyo Driving School (TDS). That person must have to sit on the front passenger seat next to the person with learner's permit.
1. Learner driver's permit: To obtain a leaner's permit one must have to pass a written test (Answer at least 45 out of 50 questions correctly 90% ). Practical driving knowledge test on a course set up at the test site. You will be evaluated by a police examiner and points would be awarded.
2. Driver's license (AT & MT): To obtain a diver's license one must have to pass a written test and driving skills test. To pass the writing test, one must have practice driving at least 10 hours after learner drivers permit and one must have to answer at least 90 out of 100 questions correctly (90%). To pass the practical driving skills test, you would be tested on a designated course on an ordinary street. Your would be evaluated by a police examiner and points would be awarded.
Tokyo Driving School training would be especially needed to pass this test, even if you are an experienced driver, certain things are expected from you without that you can't pass the test.
3. Practicing using a learner driver's permit; On can practice driving for 10 hours in at least five days within a three months period. During your practice sessions, you must be accompanied by a person who has a class one driver's license for three years or more, class two drivers license or an instructor at a driving school such as Tokyo Driving School. This person must sit at the passenger seat next to you.
We recommend you book an appointment before visiting our office